The Poetry Question

Discovering the Relevance of Words

I Am A Lazy Writer.

There are 2,447 of you who will get this post as soon as I publish it. It will go to your email box, your cell phone, your tablet, or whatever else you might use to check up on the world, and you’ll look at the title, and more than 80% of you will answer with either: “Yup,” or “I’m not a writer,” or by hitting the delete button. The other 20% of you will probably smile, and then get right back to writing the next great American novel.

I have spent my entire life writing in spurts. Nice little clips and phrases and scribblings of life events or storylines or dreams or things that have been lingering inside my brain. Unfortunately, I don’t do anything with these pieces. I’ve written story after story, and essay after essay, but I don’t send them out for publication, and the few that have gotten close, I lacked the guts to do the necessary, and asked for, re-writes. I am a lazy writer. I am a frustrated, self-deprecating, lazy, writer. But at times, I write some really good stuff. I promise. You’ve just never seen it. It won’t be published in Big Deal Quarterly, and it won’t be in a bookstore near you. It will sit on my hard drives, or cell phone, or in hard copy on my bookcase. It will stay there until a friend stumbles upon it, asks to read it, tells me it’s good or bad or needs work, and then puts it right back where it sat.

So, here is my challenge to you, and to me. I am going to challenge myself that every weekday until January 1st 2014, I will post a piece of work on this website beyond simply a Daily Prompt or QOTD. Your part in all this is simple: comment on the pieces, tell me your honest thoughts, and remind me to not be a lazy writer. If this works, then we will both succeed, and I’ll probably continue on into the new year. If it doesn’t, won’t that just make me more of a lazy writer, or you a lazy reader?

So, comment on here…. are you up for the challenge? Maybe we can convince Doran and JG Allan to do the same! Are you boys up for it?

For right now, I’m going to stare at my computer screen and wait for your comments.

About Christopher Margolin

Chris Margolin spent more than a decade in Education as a high school English teacher, and is now an Instructional Coach for the Longview School District. He is also the founder of The Poetry Question, an online journal which focuses on reviews of small press poetry publications, and runs a regular series called "The Power of Poetry," where notable poets share their personal stories of how poetry has affected their lives. Margolin resides in Vancouver, Washington with his wife, and daughter.

6 comments on “I Am A Lazy Writer.

  1. JG Allan
    December 5, 2013

    I would’ve thought we were on a first name basis by now.
    My byline is pretentious, not my persona.

  2. kiwiskan
    December 5, 2013

    Good on you Christopher. Go for it!

  3. Catherine Chandler
    December 6, 2013

    Hey. Quit being a lazy writer.

  4. Jayde-Ashe
    December 8, 2013

    Good luck with this self-challenge! If you ever want to submit something to a low stress publication, feel free to pop over to my blog and check out The Paperbook Collective. It’s a collaborative magazine filled with the writing, poetry, photography etc. of bloggers from across the globe. Inspiration perhaps?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 4,558 other followers

%d bloggers like this: